Monday 27 April 2015

Filming Week: Day 3, Thursday

(images to be added)

After arriving home on Tuesday night I found out some sad news.  We have had a bit of a family situation.  Due to this, I wasn't in the right state to deal with call sheets.  I needed to be there for my family.

Lee kindly offered to get the callsheets done for me, which I'm really grateful for.  I tried to give her an overview of how things needed to go, but unfortunately didn't get everything across. Sorry Lee!

For our third day on set we had the Crash Site scene to film.  Our day started with a jib shot, but they were set up before the rest of the crew, including the director and art department actually got there.  So unfortunately they had to wait around again. 

Jib shot's also mean long set ups, and unfortunately we had a bit of negativity creeping into the set around this point, some of it built up from the day before.

Due to a discussion the week before with VFX, we decided to lock off the jib, and put in some subtle movement in post production.  However on the day we had to compromise on the jib shot even more.

We could only go so wide and so high because of the limitations from the camera lens and jib height.  This meant that we had to go closer into the shot then intended- which caused some annoyance to certain crew members.

Unfortunately, we can only do what we can do.  We can only work with what we have to work with.  And NO!  We cannot move the equipment and our crew into a potentially unsafe location just to get a wider shot.

I got a bit sick of explaining, if I must be honest; although my personal circumstances probably didn't help.  There's no point in complaining or being negative about what we can't do, we just have to move on with what we can, and the majority of the crew did just that. 

I would hate you to think that I don't have positive things to say about our time filming.  Truthfully I do.  Our team works well together, for the most part.  Our volunteers are amazingly good sports.  We had beautiful weather on our last two days.  But it's so much easier to reflect on the things that go wrong.  Those are the things I WANT to reflect on, not because I wish to dwell on the negatives, but because these are the things that can be better.  These are the things that I want to do better, going forward.

And on this day, our last day of filming for now, we were simply dealing with a tired crew and a build up of minor annoyances from the last few days.



 

3 comments:

  1. Good call -- safety first! In general, how did you feel about your own performance as 1st AD on set?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really don't have much as a point of reference to be honest, so it is hard for me to say one way or the other if I did a good job or not. I'm told I did a good job, but I know that there are lots of things I could do better with some more experience under my belt.

    I did my best and I think I managed to achieve a good balance between keeping things relaxed but getting stuff done. There were some things that slipped my mind but I think these were minor things, like getting calls out over the RT's.

    Like I said in my posts I wanted to keep things to the schedule as much as possible, rather than letting us be drawn off tangent by too many opinions being tossed around, which would just add confusion to the day. But I also tried to make sure that people knew that they could bring suggestions to me, and that I would take things into consideration. I tried to make sure that this was happening, rather than people going directly to the Director, because I wanted to make sure his decisions weren't being made from outside pressure. There were some moments where this didn't happen- and as a result we had confusion on set for our actor and some moments of tension, so that's definitely something I hope to get working more smoothly in the upcoming filming days.

    ReplyDelete