Wednesday 12 August 2015

Developing the AV Script


Over the last few weeks I've been developing my script and charactersand now I am working on my AV script.

I started off by trying to jump straight into the AV script from my synopsis.  Turns out that writing just what is seen and heard in a single shot is kinda hard, especially without the full scipt having been written.

It probably doesn't help that AV script isn't standard practice for trailers as these would often be edited together after the fact, but I can see the benefit for managing the filming of things like B-roll footage.    

Developing an AV Script
Anyway, so, instead I decided on a few scenes and wrote them in screenplay format.  Then I chose moments out of these to put into the trailer.

I found myself questioning whether some scenes should have a place in the trailer or not, especially ones containing backstory.  However I felt in the end that if I wasn't to show any of this in the trailer then the general idea for the project wouldn't come across as easily.   

I think if I were writing the full story that there are definitely areas I would want to develop differently in a future edit.  I would probably alter the how and why backstory and allow it to be gradually pieced together through Alex's memories.  As it is though I'm not sure that these are developed enough in my own head to work into the story.

Besides, since time is short, VFX is intensive and these scenes would never make it into the trailer (too spoiler filled) I will put that aside as potential development for this as a future project.       


1 comment:

  1. Thanks, Sarah. Yes, it is not usual to write an AV script for a trailer -- as you've mentioned, this is a retrospective exercise. However, for the sake of this assessment, an AV script is probably the best way to go as it more closely aligns with TVCs (or promo videos), which commonly use AV scripts.

    ReplyDelete