Tuesday 18 August 2015

Architectual Modelling in Maya: Part 1

Leading up to my project I will be needing to create a number of 3D environments.  I haven't done a lot of architectural modelling so for my Personal Development this time I decided to follow an Interiors Modelling course in Digital Tutors.



There are 35 'lessons' in the course which run for 4h 26.  Obviously following along takes significantly longer,  I spent 3 hours today doing the first 9 lessons.




This has been really good for picking up little techniques and shortcuts. Some of these are basic but actually really useful, such as unchecking double sided from the polygons attributes and reversing normals to be able to see inside the object from any angle.

This is a 6 sided Cube!!

Another tool option I wish I had known about a couple of years ago is that you can insert Multiple Edge Loops with one click.  This also spaces the loops perfectly along the face.  This is such a time saver.

Multiple Edge Loops

Of course at this point in the tutorial Maya decided to crash, and I hadn't saved my work so had to start again. Another important lesson.   

Progress from lessons 1-9


I'll probably continue looking at these lessons as they have been a really good refresher as well as teaching me a few new things.


1 comment: