Wednesday 22 July 2015

My Time as a Roto Monkey :p

As part of the Group Project I have been helping out with some of the Post-production work.  This is mostly just some WIP screen grabs from of some Rotoscoping I've been doing. 

The Original Shot
In the Original shot there are a number of issues.  One is that we filmed off the greenscreen- that dark green in the bottom there is the carpet on the floor of the greenscreen studio.  This obviously won't be key-able. 

Another issue is the out of focus footage.  This isn't something that can be fixed but will cause issues when keying the right side of the greenscreen.  I think this will need to be fixed up using a feather and edge blur. 

Key and Green Spill Suppression
For my first pass I keyed the Greenscreen and added a Green Spill Suppression to take the spill off our actors.




Finally I moved onto Roto.  Wherever the actors movements crossed over the edge of the greenscreen or the wooden support each frame needed to be carefully rotoscoped.

This shot will still need some tweaking in the compositing stage.



Here's a few of the other shots I worked on:


Shot 12 Original Shot
 In this shot I needed to Roto out the wooden supports and a fabric backdrop.  There is also a c-stand in shot at the top-centre of the frame.  One other issue- the reflection of the wooden support in the glass. 

Roto WIP

To fix this reflection I used a Roto-paint with the clone brush.  Luckily the actor doesn't move behind the reflection at all so this wasn't too complicated. 

Shot 19 Original Shot
This shot was originally keyed and roto'd by someone else but they had done some strange things to the footage and hadn't kept the Nuke file.  So I ended up re-doing this shot from scratch to fix up the problems and make sure we actually had a usable file for compositing later on.

This shot was pretty easy to solve with a Key and Garbage Matte.  Despite there being a lot of rubbish in the shot we were careful when filming to make sure that the actor and set didn't overlap any of it.  Some Roto was needed between the actors arm and the post because of the different shade of green. 

Shot 19: Clean-up

One other task I was asked to help with was to check through all of the files so we knew what had been done and what hadn't and also that we actually had the Nuke files for each shot.  I made the list below to help us out, and made notes of any issues I noticed in the completed shots.  This is how I picked up the issues with shot 19. 












1 comment:

  1. This looks very enticing! Thanks for the roto-monkey/gimp/droid update! Make sure you see some sunlight!

    ReplyDelete