Sunday 10 May 2015

Analysing the Edit: The Importance of Delivering Feedback in a POSITIVE Manner

It seems that my blog over the last couple of weeks is becoming a bit of a ranting ground, so I do apologize for that in advance of this post.  I wanted to talk a bit about something that happened a little while ago in class because I think it leads to an important point about working well together as a group.  Also I just have a lot of frustration building up and I need to get it off my chest :)

Frustration. n.d. Chris Wildt. Retrieved from https://www.cartoonstock.com/directory/f/frustrated.asp


When classes started up again after we had filmed the first part of 'The Beast of Fawkes' we had a class session where we showed our rushes to the group.  Unfortunately this didn't end up being a positive experience, so what follows is an attempt at reflecting on this.

The first thing we did was putting together a chronological edit, which was intended to not be viewed as an edit but as a rush.  It was purely for the purpose of seeing whether or not the shots would work chronologically, or if there were any glaring problems that meant we would need to reshoot.

I feel like watching the rushes as a group had a more negative effect on the group then a positive.  This was probably in part because of the number of people in our group who don't understand rushes and were expecting to see an edit which was fast paced and well transitioned between shots.  The other problem was that some people were getting impatient, and wouldn't stop for long enough to let us explain what it was they were about to see. 

Frustration. 2012. Retrieved from http://www.squirrelosophy.com/2014/01/17/frustration/

This made the entire experience really frustrating, I think for everyone.  Those that didn't understand rushes were disappointed by what they were seeing, and although at this point there were clear issues with some of the performance I didn't feel that the rushes, which were also missing some shots, were the place to tear the entire thing apart.  I felt in hindsight that as much as you want your group to be kept informed and to see where things are at, that these rushes (much like an animatic or a beatsheet) might have been better shared only with a smaller group.  This might have preserved some morale.


It could be that I am simply interpreting the session based of some pent up frustration's- but I particularly didn't appreciate how this feedback session was handled.  And I certainly didn't appreciate being talked over and ignored while trying to explain that this was only a rough chronological rush, only to then be torn into about missing shots (which had been filmed!), shots that were too long in the edit  (which wasn't an edit!), and cinematography decisions.   

Blame the Squirrel. 2013. Retrieved from http://www.squirrelosophy.com/2013/05/22/blame-the-squirrel/


I always try to be honest, and I realize that it can come across quite harsh at times when people try to give you honest feedback.  But I think even while being honest we can try to temper our the sharpness of our words. 

I appreciate the advice of people who know more than I do.  I'm new to this film thing, and the first to admit that I don't know much at all.  But I think that such a negative barrage and attack on the project is nonconstructive.  If there are suggestions to make things better, by all means suggest.  But don't tear peoples work apart in front of the entire group, or suggest that we have been lazy.  This a sure fire way to have everyone simply switch off.  
  
Over it. retrieved from http://society6.com/product/hello-i-am-over-it_print#1=45

Now the reason I bring all of this up is group morale.  Over the past few weeks I've been personally feeling less and less motivated about our project, and I think a large part of that is that I have been made to feel responsible for things that simply aren't my responsibility.  Normally I am happy to help out where-ever is needed.  And perhaps I am taking things too personally, but events like the one I mention in this post do nothing to make me want to continue giving it my all.

From the declining sense of engagement from the group as a whole, I would think that this is affecting others in the same way.  When the group dynamic and morale breaks down it becomes even harder to maintain your own.



I think it's important for me at this point to step back, vent these frustrations, and be sure that I'm not simply over reacting to things.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this, Sarah. We can chat about this further, if you like!

    ReplyDelete