Wednesday 17 June 2015

Filming a Fight Scene

For our groups genre exercise I ended up with the end sequence of the film- the fight scene.

I knew already that a decent fight scene of 45 seconds would need many more than 6 shots due to the fast pace and quick editing that action scenes call for.  However for the purpose of our presentation I thought about the shots that might go into a fight scene and storyboarded a few shots out.





With these storyboards I thought about dynamic shots, Close Ups, and the use of the Wide and Close up in the initial standoff.  I worked under the assumption that these would need to be changed once we had our actors sorted and could work out some choreography which would suit their capabilities.  
I planned to film all of the fighting using the shoulder mount, with a 90 degree shutter angle to cut down on some motion blur.  Speeding and Slowing the footage would need to be done mostly in post-production because of the limited fps options of the Black Magic.

After some thought I decided to attempt one shot at 30fps to be interpreted at 25 fps to try and achieve a subtle slow motion.  

Here's some clips I looked at to help me figure out my shooting intentions.








3 comments:

  1. Thanks, Sarah. It's interesting that the bottom video was espousing the use of slow shutter speed -- especially when we know that higher speeds have a more jarring effect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You may be interested to see this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1PCtIaM_GQ

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes- I did notice that difference between the two videos, I interpreted it as the second was attempting to add more motion blur to the footage to make the action seem faster and more fluid, while the first went for the more jarring look with less motion blur to capture more of the action. Might be right off the mark though!

    ReplyDelete